Wednesday 8 August 2012

Why so long between hellos...

Hola from Buenos Aires, Argentina everyone!

I am so sorry it has been so long between posts - So  much has been happening these last few weeks, I've not really had the time nor the brain space to really sit down and catch up and share all I have seen and done!  And let me tell you - there has been A LOT and I'll do my best to share them over the coming days.

Just to give you a quick snapshot, here is a bit about what has been happening along my world food safari to date...

My first two weeks in Venezuela were incredible; thought provoking, challenging, inspiring and not to mention, a lot of fun!  To have been in Venezuela at such a critical time during their presidential elections and to have been given the opportunity to meet with so many community leaders, advisors, rural workers and families directly involved in the Revolution, was amazing and has turned the world and the food system as I know it, completely on its head.  It is going to take a few blog posts to describe the variety and contrast I saw and learnt about in Venezuela on all fronts; political, social and  economical and in the transformation that is occurring across their entire food system.  I took sooooo many notes (as you can imagine) and I am looking forward to sharing it all with you, because I think it certainly provides us with a lot of 'food for thought' when we look at our own food system in Australia and the agenda/priorities/approach the Australian government is taking to secure Australia's food future (particularly with the recent launch of green paper proposing Australia's first ever National Food Plan).

I have just about finished an overview of 'my take' on what is happening in Venezuela on the political front and will be sure to share this shortly.  Other posts will include more of the specific food sovereignty and security initiatives being developed and delivered by the Venezuelan community with 100% government support and investment.  Phenomenal!!

Since leaving Venezuela I have been soaking up all the culture Buenos Aires can throw at me!  Talk about a seriously amazing city; it is stunningly beautiful with its french inspired architecture, it has an historic authenticity and uniqueness that I find really refreshing and interesting, there is always something to do or see and the food...is...DELISH!!  It is also a city that never sleeps and for a while there, I felt like I turned into some kind of nocturnal being that survived on 5-6 hours sleep...during the day! Needless to say I could not sustain this kind of sleeping pattern (or lack their of) for long, but was impressed with my partying efforts none-the-less :-)  I also wanted to be able to see what BA had on offer through the day, so I needed to change my tact! hehe

Other than eating half my body weight in meat, cheese and empanadas (which PS I am not complaining about in the slightest!!! hehe), I will admit I've not seen or done a great deal on the food front. Whilst it has been nice to have a bit of a break to allow myself to just be in and enjoy this beautiful city for all it has to offer, there have been two things that have really struck me here; the lack of obvious overweight/obesity amongst the population and the dominance of domestically produced products available in supermarkets.  This has certainly intrigued me, so I have taken some time to do some reading to find out why (whilst sipping on the ridiculously delicious coffee they have here), and will include this in my blog dedicated to beautiful BA.

I hope all is well in your worlds - thanks everyone for all your great feedback and encouragement for my blogs so far.  Thanks also for your patience between blogs,  I promise I will try and stay on top of these throughout my next leg in the USA, which starts on Friday 10 August.  This is also my beautiful cousin, Alaine's birthday, so sending you lots of hugs and wishes for your special day on Friday lovely lady!!!

Hasta luego mi amigos!!
Adios

1 comment:

  1. This is all sounding like an amazing experience and I am excited to hear more about BA, as well as the next American leg of your journey! Be safe in San Fran and I hope we can Skype soon. Missing you and loving you lots xx

    ReplyDelete